New Year's Resolutions for Bikers
It's that time of the year again. Saying goodbye to 2018, and welcoming new adventures in 2019, whatever they may be. While it's great to come up with lifestyle resolutions, your list can look a little different if you're a biker. Whether you've been neglecting your bike, or looking for a new challenge – here are some New Year’s biker resolutions, to help you ride smoothly through 2019.
- Ride three or four times a week. If you're looking back at 2018 and thinking, "I should have ridden more," then definitely put this on your list. Once you start riding more often for a month or two, it will become part of your routine.
- Attend a bike rally this year. If you've never experienced one, this is something you don't want to miss. The community-like atmosphere and getting the chance to meet fellow bikers are two good reasons to find a rally near you in 2019. Plan to go, but if you can't, follow the action at Daytona, Americade, Laconia, Rolling Thunder and Sturgis on this Facebook page.
- Plan a road trip with other bikers. You may go on longer rides here and there, but there's nothing like experiencing the freedom and joy of riding cross-country. If it's in your budget, plan a long road trip with your friends and see the beautiful mountains, lakes, and rippling wheat fields the country has to offer. Enjoy the oceans at either end. You won't regret this one!
- Inspect your motorcycle regularly. Doing regular maintenance on your bike is essential for your safety. You can look at your manual to get more familiar with your motorcycle, and if you have any questions, talk to your local mechanic. Plus, there's plenty of instructional videos you can watch online.
- Always wear a helmet. This seems obvious, but not all states have helmet laws. When you wear one, not only does it protect your head, but it reinforces that you are a responsible and experienced rider.
- Teach a friend how to ride. If you have a friend that's shown interest in riding and put off teaching them, now is the time to start! It will be a bonding experience and if they fall in love with it, you've gained yourself a new riding buddy.
- Keep your motorcycle clean. This is an area of opportunity for most riders. It's not the most exciting part of owning a motorcycle, but it's one of the more important ones. If you clean and polish it on a regular basis, it will not only look better – but run more smoothly for you.
- Take a safety course. Everyone took the proper training to get a driver's license, but it doesn't hurt to brush up on some of the safety courses. You'll only learn more about motorcycles, and your state's regulations for bikers. As an added bonus – you may qualify for a discount on your motorcycle insurance with AARP Motorcycle Insurance Program from Foremost!
The most important New Year's resolution, of course, is to enjoy yourself! We hope these suggestions help you ride into 2019.