You don't need to sacrifice safety to conquer the heat on a summer ride. Follow these tips to keep your cool:
- Resist the urge to shed your riding jacket for your t-shirt. Stay fully covered so you don't get sunburned or lose too much moisture from your skin as sweat quickly evaporates in the wind.
- Choose a textitle mesh riding jacket and pants that are well ventilated to provide airflow and protection. Be sure to select bright colors so you stand out in traffic.
- Try a cooling vest. Soak it in water, shake off the excess and wear under your jacket.
- Opt for a full-face and well ventilated helmet in a light color. If you want to go high-tech, air conditioned helmets are now available starting around $500.
- Hydrate! Water is the key to successful summer riding. Make regular stops to drink water and bring extra with you. You can also wear a hydration backpack and sip water from it in frequent intervals.
- Don't drink sweet beverages like juice or soda, and avoid caffeine. Of course, steer clear of alcohol. Water is the best riding buddy you can have.
- Use a cool wrap that you’ve soaked in water and place around your neck.
- Avoid riding during the hottest times of the day and go for a cool morning jaunt or early evening excursion.
- Take regular breaks, not only for hydration, but also to eat and keep your energy up. If you feel yourself getting tired, it's definitely time for a breather.
- Watch for signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke like: fatigue, dizziness, headaches, disorientation, cramps, nausea or heavy sweating. Get off the road immediately and take care of yourself.
Follow these tips and enjoy your adventures in the summer sun. Before you know it, fall will arrive and you'll need to stay warm while you ride!
Don’t miss this year’s motorcycle rally excitement. Be sure to follow the Facebook page for the AARP® Motorcycle Insurance Program from Foremost. You'll see all the action from summer celebrations like Americade, Laconia and Sturgis, S.D.
The information contained in this page is provided for general informational purposes only. The information is provided by Foremost® and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the articles or the information, products, services or related graphics, if any, contained in the articles for any purpose. The information is not meant as professional or expert advice, and any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.